Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Afternoon!

I have spent all day researching and inventing a new character for the a competition: http://www.icograda.org/web/calendar-display.shtml?pfl=calendar-single-2.param&op2.rf1=1515&op3.tfl=calendar-single-2-FFFFFF.ptml

I'm doing the Alice in Wonderland so have spent all day sketching a few ideas.

Firstly Alice began her life like this:



Then I inked over to bring out her features:

From here I wanted to bring Alice a bit more to life and make her look older:
Colour and life sketches of Alice to see how she would work out:

Making Alice appear more 3D and believeable:


Finally, some quick 5 minute colour studies with watercolour- colour is the hardest thing to think about now.


I want Alice to appear as if she is from a good background but is still quite tomboyish. That's why she has scruffy hair and her socks are falling down. Her mother has dressed her well but she hasn't quite noticed because she is too busy thinking about having adventures. That's how I imagine Alice anyway..

Next I will put the existing Alice in different moods for example angry, laughing, embarrased to see how her features develop from there.

This project has been fun so far and I think it will be a good experience. Already I have lots of ideas for my own characters and stories. Perhaps when I have finished I could develop these for fun!

Holly

1 comment:

natural attrill said...

Hi holly, I really like the sketchyness of the first drawing.
Good luck with it all !
P.